How to use new email list service: C470@googlegroups.com
Welcome to C470@googlegroups.com
Updated 10 May 2020
The operation of this email list service is similar to the former Yahoo Groups.
1. The C470 group is a private group.
2. Anyone on the internet may search and find that the C470 group exists — but they cannot access any of the content.
3. An “outsider” my send a request to be admitted as a member of the C470 group. At the moment, I am the “Owner” of this new group and I am the person who grants access.
4. Emails sent to the group become parts of “Discussions” - or “threads”
5. The messages are organized by threads in the web tool version.
6. Emails when retransmitted by the list server will be sent to the email address used to register as a C470 group member.
7. Emails will also be listed and archived in the C470 web tool version by discussion thread [aka Subject].
8. Each email you receive from C470@googlegroups.com will have a link at the bottom that will take you to the web tool when you click it.
9. MOST IMPORTANT & USEFUL: now all the emails and threads in the group can be searched for topics of interest to a member using the web tool.
1. To send an email to the C470 group from any email app that you use.
Use To Address: C470@googlegroups.com
Subject: Use a subject line that will be descriptive of the thread of “discussions” you will initiate.
2. To reply to an email thread from the C470@googlegroups.com with the web tool, just click on Reply when reading the thread.
3. To reply to a C470@googlegroups.com email in your email app, choose Reply to All option — otherwise it will go ONLY to the person who wrote the latest email.
4. To start a new thread / discussion topic from the web tool: click on New Topic
5. To start a new thread / discussion topic from your email app, just create a descriptive Subject.
When you have sent a new email or a reply, you will receive a copy when everyone on the mailing list gets a copy (not a second copy immediately as Yahoo sometimes did).
Note: One of the really useful aspects of C470@googlegroups.com is the grouping of emails by thread in the web tool. Easy for you to search for relevant information.
SOOOO I strongly suggest that you take a moment extra and compose an appropriate Subject line instead of going off on a new tangent by just replying to the most recent C470@googlegroups.com email.
For example, if you just want to exchange pleasantries as opposed ot discussing a specific topic, use Social (or whatever similar you like) as the Subject line of your email or reply. This will keep the topic threads more internally relevant. And, yeah, I know it takes a few extra seconds to do; and Yes you do have to remember to do it — BUT: no one promised you that being a sailing bum was easy!
More to come as I get smarter….
Information on former C470 Yahoo Group & Transition to Google Groups when Yahoo stopped support.